BOOK YOUR FIREARM SAFETY TRAINING COURSE
HOW TO APPLY FOR A NSW LONGARMS FIREARMS LICENCE
You can apply for a firearms licence online at Service NSW: www.service.nsw.gov.au. To complete an online firearms application you will need: A MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force, Firearms Safety Training Statement of Attainment, supporting documents for your Genuine Reason and Specials Need, and a credit card for payment of the licence fee (if applicable)
This will be for categories A & B for the purpose of Sport Target Shooting & Recreational Hunting.
In NSW, you are required to have a genuine reason for possessing and using a firearm. There are two genuine reasons accepted by the NSW Police Firearms Registry.
- To support this genuine reason, you must supply to Firearms Registry with you application paperwork, proof of a current membership of an approved target shooting club
Recreational Hunting/Vermin Control
- To support this genuine reason, you must supply to Firearms Registry with your application paperwork one of the following;
- Proof of a current membership of an approved hunting club
- Proof of ownership or occupancy of rural land
- Written permission to hunt and shoot on a landowner's property
- Written permission from a government agency
You are required to attend NSW Firearms Safety Awareness Course. All course participants must bring a current NSW drivers licence or your original Birth Certificate. Your training officer will ask you to complete a P650 form prior to the commencement of the training course to ensure you are eligible to undertake the course. This will consist of both theoretical and practical handling but does not include live firing.
On successful completion of the course you will receive a Statement of Attainment which should be acted on within 12 months.
Once you have completed the course you are able upload firearms licence application, proof of genuine reason and your Statement of Attainment, online at Service NSW: www.service.nsw.gov.au. To complete an online firearms application you will need: A MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force. You will need to upload your, Firearms Safety Training Statement of Attainment, supporting documents for your Genuine Reason and Special Need, and a credit card for payment of the licence fee (if applicable).
Your firearms licence application will be processed after a 28 day cooling off period and when approved by the NSW Firearms Registry you will receive notification by mail to attend your nearest Service NSW office to pay for your licence and have your photo taken.
- Using a club membership as a genuine reason, this cost will vary depending on the club of you choose. The Firearms Registry will be able to provide you with a list of clubs in your area.
- Firearms Safety Training Course, Adult $154 $10 deposit to book your spot and $144 CARD ONLY to the training office on the day
- Firearms Safety Training Course, Junior (12-18 years) $87 $10 deposit to book your spot and $77 CARD ONLY to the training office on the day
- Service NSW photo licence 2 years $100
- Service NSW photo licence 5 years $200
Service NSW licence online application
NSW firearms Registry licence and genuine reason
NSW Firearms Registry safe storage requirements